Expeieince in USA - Adult kyphosis brace and training

Here you can ask and talk (in English or German) about scoliosis treatment in Germany.
Antworten
Kyphkerry
Diagnose: kyphosos thoracic 60 degree, scoliosis lumbar curve left and thoracic curve right
Therapie: schroth, custom brace

Expeieince in USA - Adult kyphosis brace and training

Beitrag von Kyphkerry »

Hello,

I thought I would start a thread for share information for Adult Kyphosis and Scoliosis treatment in the USA. Please replay with your experiences and resources.

My story - Kyphosis -61 degrees, left lumbar curve and right thoracic curve - degenerative and trauma induced over last 30 years. I was observed for Kyphosis as a child but never treated.

Currently, kyphosis is advancing and unable to manage pain in Lumbar, thoracic and cervical areas. I decided to take action and assemble my own program based on what I read on this forum and form the Lyon Method of Adult Kyphosis treatment.

BRACE - In the USA braces are only offered to the adult with scoliosis/kyphosis for pain management. This is the most likely way an insurance company will cover it. Treatment for improving the kyphosis is still classified here as experimental. There are two makers of adult braces - one on the east coast an one on the west coast. They cost about 5k for the brace and need about about a week of you being on site for scanning and fitting.

The other alternative is learn all you can about the types of braces and look at all the pictures you can to find what you want to use. If you are sure of what you want and are paying cash, there are independent orthotists that will take on the job - but you must be aware of what you are asking for, and own the responsibility of selecting the right features for your treatment. Braces form these providers are about $2500 in cash. Hanger Orthopedic can also do it for a cash patient for about the same price and has practitioners that are trained in scoliosis and kyphosis - but not necessarily in fitting adults. If you are going to us Hanger - call the customer service number and ask for scoliosis experienced orthotists.

ALL OF THE INDEPENDENTS AND HANGER WILL ASK FOR A PRESCRIPTION IN ORDER TO SCHEDULE AN EVALUATION. Although, as soon as they find out you are paying in cash, many will waive the requirement - but it is better to get the prescription if you can. Getting the prescription from a primary doctor was quite straightforward for me. I asked for the xrays first, once the report noted kyphosis and scoliosis, I aksed for a brace presciption and showed the reccomendation for an adult brace that I received form the Schroth Therapist who was consulting with me on line.

I chose a Hanger office near me that had a scoliosis expert and went for an evaluation. At the appointment I showed the pictures of the brace I wanted and got additional advice from her about other considerations. When i mentioned I was paying in cash, we immediately went tot he next step and did the body scan and measurement in that visit. I left pictures of the kyphosis brace with cervical extension that has been commonly seen on this forum. Although this was not common for use in the USA, I had to politely insist that this is what was required for my case.

The Schroth training I found is on line and by the hour ($100) from a great person in New Mexico. She was very knowledgeable and aware of how to structure a program for me that involves exercises wearing the brace and not wearing the brace.

All in so far the brace is about $2500 and the training about $1000. The program follows the Lyon method with one basic change. Brace wearing time is built up gradually over a 45 -60 day period where I will advance slowly the wearing time until I can wear it 23 hrs a day. As soon as I can do this, then there is a 4 week period where I wear the brace full time. After that month, then the brace is worn for a minimum of 6 hrs a day, with strictly wearing the brace after exercise for 2 hrs. Night time wear is as necessary for pain control but recommended. After that 6 month period, brace wear is reduced to 2 hrs after exercise, and as needed for pain control, and sleeping in the brace if possible for a period of two years. After that, brace is used as necessary for pain control and retraining if necessary. Exercises are to continue indefinitely.

Please share your plans and experiences with treatment for adults in the USA.

Thanks
Kyphkerry
Antworten